Veteran Students
Apply Today Request Information Plan a Visit Giving to NCWC


What Is PASS?

  • PASS stands for Peer-Assisted Study Sessions
  • PASS is a peer facilitated, cooperative student support scheme for all students.
  • PASS attendance is voluntary but highly recommended.
  • It is not a remedial program for "struggling" students, but rather, a program for all students who want to improve their academic performance.

The program offers assistance to students in supported courses by providing a trained peer leader who can assist with the subject matter. P.A.S.S. leaders are sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have at least a 3.0 GPA and have displayed competency in a particular subject. They must have received an A or A- in the course they facilitate and have the recommendation of a faculty member.

How Does PASS Work?

PASS leaders are assigned to a course and attend all class sessions. Two to three times each week, PASS leaders conduct regularly scheduled, out-of-class, study sessions that focus on specific course content and learning skills. PASS leaders provide materials such as practice worksheets, study guides, and sample quizzes and tests to students during the sessions. PASS provides a forum for students to compare notes and discuss subject matter with other students in the class. PASS sessions are free, voluntary, and open to all students in the course.

Why Should I Go To PASS Sessions?

Research at NCWC indicates that students who attend sessions on a regular basis achieve grades 1/2 to 1 full letter grade higher than those students who do not participate. In fact, during the 2002-2003 academic year, 92% of students who attended at least five sessions in a given class scored an A, B, or C for their final grade. Compare this to only 60% of those who didn't attend at least five sessions - and you have an excellent reason to participate.

How Do I Know If I Am Enrolled In A Course That Offers PASS?

If you would like to know if you are enrolled in a course with this program, you can do one of three things:

  1. Call the Director of Academic Support at (252)985-5274.
  2. Click on the PASS Schedule link at the top of this page.
  3. Call your professor - they can tell you.