Your are now officially a Sophomore after successfully earning at least 24 semester hours!
We invite you to charge onto the next step and actively participate in Sophomore Successes.Click here to access and print your Sophomore Successes Checklist.
The Sophomore Successes benchmark is represented by color GREEN.
Why Green? The color green represents new life, stability, hope and abundance. Yes, your Bishop family was excited that you chose us last year but we are ecstatic about your decision to stay the course. We hope that you are just as excited about your decision and have the determination, as well as a desire, to continue to grow academically and professionally.
Participants: Students who have 24-55 semester hours
Focus: Remaining Engaged and Reorienting to College Life
Format: Academic advising, the Wesleyan way, will be front and center throughout the entire collegiate experience.
Remember that you will be transitioning from your First-Year Academic Advisor to your Faculty Advisor for direct guidance through your degree program.
What does this mean?
Over the summer, check your my.ncwc.edu to find out the name of your new Faculty Advisor. You should also make sure that the major listed for you is accurate because this is how your Faculty Advisor is assigned.
You should meet with your Faculty Advisor:
- At the beginning and end of each academic semester to discuss your major decision (minor, if applicable) as well as your path to graduation.
- At least once a month. This will help ensure that your individualized goals are being met; academic progress is being made; and that each student is engaged in the life of the NCWC campus.
- You will have the opportunity to discuss your achievements and challenges with your Faculty Advisor. This will be important as you and your Faculty Advisor build a strong advisor-advisee relationship.
- You and your advisor should focus on creating a healthy, effective advisor-advisee relationship which is important for forward progress throughout your collegiate career and beyond. Remember, it’s about building individual roadmaps to success.
Additional programming will be offered throughout the academic year for all students. For those in the Sophomore Successes benchmark phase, this includes but is not limited to:
- Welcome Back Day and Week of Welcome (W.O.W.): All students are invited to participate in Freshman Convocation, Rock the Mount and the Bishop Tunnel. These activities are designed to help create a sense of community, clarify objectives and expectations as well as provide some relaxation before classes begin.
- Student & Faculty Advisor Events: Theses events are designed to provide students and their new Faculty Advisors an opportunity to meet in a casual atmosphere. Your will be able to converse with not only your Faculty Advisor but also faculty members from various departments and disciplines.
- CHECKMATE Programming: This is a series of academic enhancement programs and workshops designed to promote academic readiness, student engagement, career/internship preparedness, leadership development and insight into current global perspectives.
Once you have satisfied your Sophomore Successes requirements and have successfully completed 55 semesters hours of course work, your benchmark will be conquered! Congratulations you are now an NCWC Junior! Let’s celebrate…For more information about the Bishop Benchmarks Program, please contact the Student Success Center at 252-985-5232 or Associate Dean Stephanie Battle at firstname.lastname@example.org.