Veteran Students
Apply Today Request Information Plan a Visit Giving to NCWC

Prospective International Student FAQ

How do I apply for an F-1 visa in my home country?
Students are advised to apply for their visa early to provide ample time for visa processing. Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the city in your country nearest your home town to find out what the procedure is for applying for a nonimmigrant visa. You may need an appointment, or walk-in hours may be available. Prior to meeting with Embassy officials you will need to pay a $200 SEVIS fee to the U.S. government. At the time of your interview you will need the SEVIS I-901 receipt, valid passport, I-20, documentation of your financial ability to support yourself and proof that you have ties to your home country. Please see the website for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will be interviewing for any other documentation or information needed at the time of your interview. Students should note that Embassies and Consulates are able to issue your student visa in 120 days or less, in advance of the course of study registration date. 

I have been accepted to North Carolina Wesleyan College and plan to begin in the fall. What shall I bring with me when I come? 
You will, of course, want to bring with you personal clothing, travel and additional spending money, photos of your family and personal items. Stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond and many more are near the school, if you need to pick up additional items for your room or personal needs. The cost of books is included in your tuition charges.

I will be staying in a dormitory on campus. What do I need to furnish my room?
Most dorm rooms house two students per room (with the exception of Boddie Hall and Centura Hall). Dorm rooms come equipped for each student with a single bed, dresser drawers, desk, chair and closet. Students will need to provide their own bedding and toiletries. We suggest that you wait until your arrival to purchase these items as it may be more convenient and less expensive. 

Will I be able to work while I am a student?
If you receive institutional work study in your financial aid package, you will be eligible for a job on campus. You are legally allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during school breaks. It is not guaranteed that you will work 20 full hours a week.  The number of hours you work will be based off the institutional work study amount you were awarded as well as the job you are working on campus. Students are responsible for securing a job on campus once they arrive. They will then need to meet with the Work Study Coordinator to complete paperwork and receive information to secure a social security card. 

I should I expect when I go through immigration inspection upon arrival?
You will be asked to produce your I-20, F-1 visa, passport and a small white card that you were handed on the airplane (form I-94). Be very careful when completing the form I-94 that your name matches the way your name is written on your visa. It is possible that you may be asked to show the receipt of payment for the SEVIS fee as well as financial documents to prove that you have the means to pay for your education. Do not pack these items in a suitcase you are checking! Make sure all required documents are readily available in either a travel bag that you have carried on the plane or on your person. The inspector will stamp your form I-94. This card needs to be kept with your passport and visa if not already attached by the inspector. This very important document is your proof of legal entry into the U.S. Before you leave immigration make sure they have returned to you all important documents as you will need them. 

What airport should I arrive at and will I have a ride to the school? 
You will want to make arrangements to fly into RDU Airport in Raleigh, NC. It is very important that you contact Donna Patterson and Gene Heavner through the Admissions Office with your flight itinerary as soon as possible so arrangements for your arrival can be made. You will receive confirmation of the arrangements. Gene Heavner will meet you at the airport. Student athletes for the fall will begin training camps on August 15th and can arrive no sooner then August 13th. All other international students can begin arriving on August 18th. International students are required to participate in the final session of orientation on August 22 and 23. The first day of classes will be August 26.  Student athletes need to contact their coach about their expected arrival date. 

What should I do when I arrive on campus?
You will need to see Donna Patterson in the Admissions Office to verify that you have arrived on campus. When you go take with you passport, visa and I-20 form. Please bring any official ,original transcripts to submit to your permanent file. Copies will need to be made to keep in your permanent file.