Veteran Students
Apply Today Request Information Plan a Visit Giving to NCWC

Current International Student FAQ

I plan to travel during school breaks. What shall I take with me?
You will need your I-20 (with a current signature on page 3), passport, visa and Form I-94. Each signature on the I-20 is valid for one year for multiple visits outside of the U.S. It is your responsibility to ensure your signature does not expire before traveling. You will need to bring your I-20 to the admissions office for Donna Patterson to sign if the signature is no longer valid. If traveling outside of the United States have with you the I-20 (with valid signature), passport and visa. It may be helpful to carry with you proof of enrollment (transcript or Business Office statement) and proof of financial support. 

I am not able to finish my program by the completion date noted on my I-20. What should I do?
If you are not able to finish your degree program by the end date noted on your I-20, you can request an extension of your program. The length of time allowed for an extension is based on the recommendation of your academic advisor. See Donna Patterson as soon as you are aware that you will be unable to complete your degree by the date listed on your I-20 as an extension must be completed before the end date of the I-20. If there is a legitimate, legally acceptable reason that you cannot complete your studies on time, and you can show that you have enough finances for the duration of your program, we will be able to extend your I-20 in SEVIS. 

I have changed my major. Do I need a new I-20?
Yes, you will need to notify Donna Patterson if there is a change in your major or minor. This change must be promptly made in the SEVIS system. You will then receive an updated I-20. Do not discard any older I-20 forms or documents. Please keep all immigration documents in a secure area. 

I moved do you need my new location?
For any type of relocation, even if you have moved to a new dorm room, contact Donna Patterson. If move is on campus include dorm and room number. For off campus students include full address (street, city, state and zip code). All address corrections must be made within 21 days of change in SEVIS. You will not need a new I-20 once the information has been updated. 

I will be graduating soon. How can I receive authorization for employment after I graduate? 
You should begin the process of applying for employment authorization at least 4 months prior to your graduation. This will provide time for the employment authorization to be processed. You MUST submit your employment authorization application prior to graduation; however, you may request that employment begin up to 60 days after the final date of your studies. Please see the Employment Options for F-1 Students section on the website for more information.

Is it possible for me to take classes less than full-time for a semester?
Only in very limited circumstances can you take fewer classes than full-time status requires even for one semester. In the event that you would need to drop below full-time status you must receive prior approval before dropping below full-time status or you will be considered out of status. See Donna Patterson as soon as you are contemplating dropping below full-time status so your case can be evaluated to determine if you are legally eligible. 

Is health insurance required while I am a student in F-1 status? 
Yes, North Carolina Wesleyan College requires that all international students carry the health insurance throughout their education here. We carry a student insurance plan, through Bollinger Insurance, which will automatically be included in your Business Office bill. See the Health Services page for more information on student insurance.