The SOCIOLOGY program focuses on the systematic study of social institutions and social relationships. The program at North Carolina Wesleyan College focuses on the application of theory and research in everyday life. Courses range from introductory level survey courses like Principles of Sociology and Social Problems to advanced writing-intensive courses in family sociology, social theory, work and occupations, popular culture, and discrimination.
Career opportunities for Sociology majors:
- Firms employing survey research methods.
- Public agencies that coordinate services for people or families.
- Social and mental Health agencies.
- Criminal justice agencies.
Recent graduates from the Sociology program:
- Ashley Bobbitt (Class of 2008) is a Social Worker in Halifax County, NC.
- Caitlin George Wooten (Volleyball, Class of 2008) has worked as an Assistant Volleyball Coach at North Carolina Wesleyan College and has quickly advanced as a certified insurance agent and account manager at Standard Insurance in Rocky Mount, NC.
- Alecia Butler (Class of 2009) is a Qualified Mental Health Professional for One to One Youth, Inc. in Rocky Mount, NC.