North Carolina Wesleyan College’s ACCOUNTING major is designed for those interested in public and private accounting careers. Students master accounting and business principles through individualized instruction, one-on-one help sessions, and group-learning activities. At the same time, the added benefit of North Carolina Wesleyan College’s liberal arts foundation—emphasizing reading, writing, and critical thinking. This means that students get both a broad education and the specialized knowledge that employers find especially attractive.
Career Opportunities in Accounting
- Public Accounting (CPA): Public accounting firms provide auditing, tax, accounting, and consulting services to businesses and individuals.
- Private Industry Accounting: In private industry accounting, you work for one company and gain in-depth knowledge and experience in the accounting for that company. You prepare the financial information necessary to help management plan and control company activities.
- Government & Non-Profit Accounting: The goal of the accounting department in a typical government agencies is to function within the budgetary constraints mandated by the legislature. Government accountants also monitor the appropriation of funds and awarding of contracts to private agencies that must follow governmental regulations.
Recent graduates of our Accounting program have been very successful:
- Kathy Tolbert (Class of 2013) recently completed her M.S. in Accounting at N.C. State University.
- Elena Pisarik (Class of 2008) has worked in private industry accounting in the Raleigh/Durham area for the last six years.
Accounting Faculty Contacts: